|Home > Children's Program > Healthy Kids Packet > Section 3 > Information|
What do you get from fruits and vegetables?
Vitamin A and C are SO important because:
• They help your skin and eyes stay healthy.
• They keep bones strong.
• They work with other vitamins and minerals to keep your muscles strong.
• They help your body fight infection.
Fiber is found in the skin of most fruits
and vegetables and is very good for you
Why are fruits and vegetables SO
good for your body?
• Low in fat
• High in fiber
• High in vitamins and minerals
How many fruits and vegetables do you need everyday?
Eating fruits and vegetables is not as hard as you think!
• Add a cut-up banana or a 1/2 cup of fruit to your cereal.
• Have a 1/2 cup of 100% fruit juice.
• Add tomatoes or another vegetable to your scrambled eggs.
• Add tomatoes and lettuce to your sandwich.
• Have celery, carrot or other veggie sticks instead of chips.
• Visit the salad bar if it is available.
• Add sliced vegetables to your pizza.
• Have a small salad.
• Always make sure you have at least one vegetable with your main course.
• Have a fruit for dessert a few times a week.
• Grab a whole piece of fruit, like an apple or a banana.
• Make a smoothie with fresh fruit and milk
© 2007 Healthy Children Healthy Futures